Seek the 8 Red Coins
The red coins are pretty well hidden throughout the entire haunted house. Go inside the large ghost house ahead of you and enter the lobby. The positions of the doors referenced in this walkthrough are relative to Mario entering the lobby from the outside and facing the interior of the lobby.
Red Coin #1
From the lobby, use the first door on the left to enter the piano room. You'll find the first Red Coin behind the haunted piano. Lure the piano away from the wall and run back to grab the coin.
Red Coin #2
Red coin #3.
From the lobby, use the second door on the left to enter the library. The second and third coins are on top of two different bookshelves in this room. Stand with Mario’s back to the bookshelf; then, crouch and jump to do a backflip and reach the coin at the top of the bookshelf.
Red Coin #4
From the lobby, use the first door on the right to enter the curved room with the hole in the center. Jump to the platform by the window to get this Red Coin; then, return to the door and exit back to the lobby.
Red Coin #5
From the lobby, go up the steps to the second floor. Walk over to the left door on the back wall and use it to enter a room with a mesh walkway. The mesh walkway has large holes you can fall through. Watch your step. This Red Coin is on the innermost wall. Return to the top of the steps in the lobby.
Red Coin #6
From the top of the steps on the second floor, walk to the wall on the right side of the lobby and use the only door on that wall to enter a room with a large bookshelf. Avoid the flying books and walk around the bookshelf to reach an empty part of the room. Stay close to the wall, as the middle part of the room contains a trick floor that’ll cause you to fall downstairs. Walk along the wall and pick up the Red Coin. Then, exit the room through the door you had entered – make sure to stay close to the wall to avoid the trick floor.
Red Coin #7
Red coin #8.
From the top of the steps on the second floor, walk over to the right door on the back wall and use it to enter a room with a large eyeball inside. Walk around the eyeball to discover the rest of the room containing coffins. Walk near the coffins to cause some of them to rise. Two of the coffins will each reveal one Red Coin. Be quick to get out of the way before the coffin falls back down.
After getting the two Red Coins, exit back to the lobby. After obtaining all 8 coins, the Power Star appears on the second floor of the lobby. From the top of the stairs, follow the walkway as it wraps around the left side of the room to get the Power Star.
Up next: big boo's balcony, top guide sections.
- Castle Secret Stars List
- How to Unlock the Wing Cap
- How to Unlock the Vanish Cap
Was this guide helpful?
In this guide.
Seek the 8 Red Coins
Seek the 8 Red Coins is the fourth mission of Big Boo's Haunt in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS . The objective is to collect the eight Red Coins scattered throughout the haunted house .
Layout [ edit ]
The player has to find the eight Red Coins in the course's haunted house. None of the Red Coins are located outside the house or in the merry-go-round area. The only difference of this mission between the two versions of the game is one of the Red Coins' positions has changed. The locations of the Red Coins are:
- Behind the Mad Piano , in the first room to the left on the first floor.
- In the second room to the left on the first floor. Two appear in this room: One is on top of each bookcase.
- On a platform through the door to the far right on the first floor.
- In the first left room on the second floor, across the room.
- In the first right room on the second floor, under a casket .
- In the first right room on the second floor, under another casket in the N64 version.
- Across the tilting platform in the far right room on the second floor.
- Floating near the ceiling of the lobby in the DS version, replacing the coin under the second casket in the original version. Mario 's Power Flower ability or Luigi 's Backward Somersault or scuttle is needed to collect it, but Wario and the others can also triple-jump to collect it.
Once the player has collected all the Red Coins, the Power Star appears at the Star Marker on the second floor of the house.
Names in other languages [ edit ]
References [ edit ].
- ^ From the score sheet Media:SM64DS course list in Chinese.png and the star menu of Super Mario 64 DS as localized by iQue .
- Super Mario 64 missions
Page actions, personal tools.
- Not logged in
- Create account
- Featured articles
- Wiki maintenance
- Recent changes
- Random page
- The 'Shroom
- Mario Boards
- Discord servers
- What links here
- Related changes
- Special pages
- Printable version
- Permanent link
- Page information
- This page was last edited on September 10, 2023, at 17:40.
- Content is available under Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported unless otherwise noted.
- About MarioWiki
- Mobile view
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: How to find all 120 Stars in Super Mario 64
Gather all of those shining Stars in and around Peach's castle.
- Course 1: Bob-omb Battlefield
- Course 2: Whomp's Fortress
- Course 3: Jolly Roger Bay
- Course 4: Cool, Cool Mountain
Course 5: Big Boo's Haunt
- Course 6: Hazy Maze Cave
- Course 7: Lethal Lava Land
- Course 8: Shifting Sand Land
- Course 9: Dire, Dire Docks
- Course 10: Snowman's Land
- Course 11: Wet-Dry World
- Course 12: Tall, Tall Mountain
- Course 13: Tiny-Huge Island
- Course 14: Tick Tock Clock
- Course 15: Rainbow Ride
- Castle Secret Stars
Star 1: Go on a Ghost Hunt
Star 2: ride big boo's merry-go-round, star 3: secret of the haunted books, star 4: seek the 8 red coins, star 5: big boo's balcony, star 6: eye to eye in the secret room, star 7: 100 coin power star.
To get to Big Boo's Haunt from the castle's front door, enter the door just to the right of the stairs then turn left down the long hallway. A Boo will go through the wall and out into the courtyard.
This is perhaps the most annoying course to enter. Several Boos are floating around Princess Peach's gardens at the back of the castle. One of them conceals a cage inside of it. Ground-pound this Boo to get it to drop the cage and then you can enter the course. You'll need to defeat this Boo every time you wish to enter Big Boo's Haunt.
Without further ado, here's how to get every Star at Big Boo's Haunt.
Note: You should consider knocking out the 8 Red Coins Star and the 100 Coins Star while doing this objective.
To get this Star, you need to defeat all of the six Boos in the mansion. Here's where you'll find all of the Boos:
- Head into the mansion and enter the first door on the right. Ground-pound the Boo to make it disappear.
- Platform across this first room and enter the door. Another Boo is waiting to be ground-pounded
- Go back to the main entryway and then head to the room on the left of the entrance. You'll notice a large Boo poster. Hit the Blue ! Block to get a Vanish Cap and make it so you can walk through walls. Now, jump through the poster. You'll find two Boos in this room.
- While standing at the mansion's main entryway, head to the back left door. Defeat the Boo without getting hit by Mr. I.
- Big Boo will now appear in the main room. To defeat him, backflip into the air when he's near and then ground-pound him three times. The Star will appear once he's gone.
Instead of heading into the mansion, take an immediate left and enter the small shack. Now go to the back of the room and stand on the red elevator to take you down. Wind your way through this subterranean area until you find a door. Enter it and you'll find a spinning room with Boo posters on the wall.
Ground-pound each of the Boos that appears. Be careful as the walls shoot out fire. When the regular Boos have all been defeated, Big Boo will appear. Defeat him to earn your Star.
Head into the mansion and immediately head up the stairs and go into the room on the back left. You'll find yourself in a library. Dodge the books and make your way to the end where three green books are sticking out of the shelf. Hit each of them in to make the bookcase slide.
Enter the door that has now been revealed and you'll be able to get your Star.
You'll need to collect all eight Red Coins from Big Boo's Haunt to get this Star. Here's where they are.
- Upon entering the level, head into the mansion and enter the first door on the right. There's a Red Coin near the Boo.
- From the mansion's main entryway, go upstairs and head to the left door closest to the camera. There will be a grand piano inside. It will come to life and try to bite you. Get it to move away from the wall and you'll see a Red Coin.
- Continue through to the next door. Dodge the chairs being thrown at you and then backflip onto the bookshelf right next to the door to get a Red Coin.
- In this same room, you'll find another Red Coin on the other bookshelf. Backflip onto the shelf to pick it up.
- Head back to the main mansion entryway and then enter the door on the back right. Head around the bookshelf and you'll see a Red Coin. Be careful not to step on the trap door.
- Head back to the main room of the mansion and then enter the door on the right side of the upstairs back wall. You'll see a Mr. I in here. run around him quickly to make him spin and die. Now head further into the room and you'll see coffins. Head towards the first coffin on the right side to reveal a Red Coin.
- Now head to the middle coffin on the left to reveal another Red Coin.
- From the mansion's main room, enter the door on the upstairs left back wall. Jump across the grated flooring and you'll find a Red Coin.
Once you've gathered each of these Red Coins, a Star will appear on the second floor of the mansion's main room.
Enter the mansion and head up the stairs. Enter the door that's at the back of the right wall. Get on the wooden platform and then wall jump to the platform above the doorway. Head to the right and enter the double doors to get to the mansion's balcony.
You'll find Big Boo floating around out here. Backflip and then ground-pound him three times to make a Star appear on the roof above you. To get the Star, long jump to the rooftop on the right. Now, walk up to the very top of the mansion. Slide down to where the Star is.
Enter the mansion and head upstairs. Enter the room on the right. Wind your way through the room and the door being careful not to step on the trap door. You'll see a Blue ! Block in this room. Hit it to get a Vanish Cap and make it so you can walk through walls.
Now, quickly make your way back to the room with the trap door. Wind around the bookshelves and jump up to the platform above you. Enter the door and then head towards the camera and through the poster depicting a hiding Boo. You'll find a Mr. I in here. Run around him several times to make him dizzy and fall over. When he's dead a Star will appear.
You'll need to collect 100 Coins in the Big Boo's Haunt level to unlock this Star. Here are some tips on how to do it.
- Each time you defeat Boos you'll earn a Blue Coin. There are five regular Boos in the mansion and five regular Boos in the Merry-go-Round , which means you can add a total of 50 Coins to your tally just by doing this.
- Gather all of this level's Red Coins to quickly add 16 Coins to your total.
- There are rooms where fanged books pop out of the bookshelves. If you defeat these enemies, they will drop a Blue Coin.
- When you defeat a Mr. I it will drop a Blue Coin. There are two of these bad guys in the mansion.
Current page: Course 5: Big Boo's Haunt
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Gaming aficionado Rebecca Spear is iMore's dedicated gaming editor with a focus on Nintendo Switch and iOS gaming. You’ll never catch her without her Switch or her iPad Air handy. If you’ve got a question about Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, or just about any other Nintendo series check out her guides to help you out. Rebecca has written thousands of articles in the last six years including hundreds of extensive gaming guides, previews, and reviews for both Switch and Apple Arcade. She also loves checking out new gaming accessories like iPhone controllers and has her ear to the ground when it comes to covering the next big trend.
Nintendo recap: New GameCube controller for Switch promises never to drift, if you can manage to buy one
Nintendo recap: Next-gen console predicted for 2024 amid Zelda Switch OLED leaks
New iPhone 15 Pro camera's Portrait mode cat photography is blowing my mind
By Ian Osborne September 08, 2023
By James Bentley September 07, 2023
By Andrew Williams September 05, 2023
By Andrew Williams September 04, 2023
By James Bentley August 30, 2023
By Alex Walker-Todd August 28, 2023
By Daryl Baxter August 28, 2023
By Alex Walker-Todd August 25, 2023
By John-Anthony Disotto August 24, 2023
By Casian Holly August 22, 2023
- 2 New iPad Air 6 might come in two sizes, along with a laptop-rivalling keyboard
- 3 Best Black Friday Apple deals
- 4 Make your iPhone 15 music playback sound incredible with this 'hipflask' USB-C DAC
- 5 Tim's eating good tonight after CEO sells $88 million worth of Apple shares
Super Mario 64/Big Boo's Haunt
This article could use a cleanup in order to be more legible and/or presentable. Please help improve this article in any way possible. Remember to follow our editing guidelines when improving existing articles. If you can improve this page, please edit it , or help by discussing possible changes on the talk page .
If you need help with wiki markup, see the wiki markup page . If you want to try out wiki markup without damaging a page, why not use the sandbox ?
Table of Contents
- Bob-omb Battlefield - 0 stars required
- Whomp's Fortress - 1 star required
- Jolly Roger Bay - 3 stars required
- Cool, Cool Mountain - 3 stars required
- Big Boo's Haunt - 12/15 stars required
- Bowser in the Dark World - 8/12 stars required
- Hazy Maze Cave - 8/12 stars required
- Lethal Lava Land - 8/12 stars required
- Shifting Sand Land - 8/12 stars required
- Dire, Dire Docks - 30 stars required
- Bowser in the Fire Sea - 31 stars required
- Snowman's Land - 31 stars required
- Wet-Dry World - 31 stars required
- Tall, Tall Mountain - 31 stars required
- Tiny-Huge Island - 31 stars required
- Tick Tock Clock - 50 stars required
- Rainbow Ride - 50 stars required
- Bowser in the Sky - 70/80 stars required
- Secret Castle Stars
- Tower of the Wing Cap - 10/14 stars required
- Cavern of the Metal Cap - 8/12 stars required
- Vanish Cap Under the Moat - 8/31 stars required
- The Princess' Secret Slide - 1 star required
- The Secret Aquarium - 3 stars required
- Wing Mario Over the Rainbow - 50 stars required
- Glowing Rabbits
- Sunshine Isles - 1 star required
- The Secret of Battle Fort - 8 stars required
- Goomboss Battle - 8 stars required (Mario)
- Big Boo Battle - 14 stars required (Luigi)
- Chief Chilly Challenge - 31 stars required (Wario)
- Location: Outside in the courtyard. Find the stairs going to the basement and follow the hallway across from them. Kill the lone ghost on the left of the courtyard, and hop in to the cage.
- Description: Big mansion filled with ghosts, eyes, and a merry-go-round.
Star 1: Go On a Ghost Hunt [ edit ]
- 1 Star 1: Go On a Ghost Hunt
- 2 Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-go-round
- 3 Star 3: Secret Of The Haunted Books
- 4 Star 4: Seek The 8 Red Coins
- 5 Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony
- 6 Star 6: Eye To Eye In The Secret Room
- 7 Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (Nintendo DS)
- 8 Star 7: 100 Coins
- 9 1-Up Locations
In this level, the objective is to kill all of the boos. Before you can face the final big boo, you will have to kill all of the smaller ones.
First go round the back of the mansion and enter the back door and kill the two boos in that room, then enter the building from the front. Next, enter the left room on the front wall and defeat the Boo in there. Then, go in the right door on the front wall and defeat the Boo in there. Still in the right room, move on to the next room and defeat the Boo in that room, then go back to the large main room. Big Boo will spawn. It takes three hits to beat the big Boo. Each time you hit him he will become smaller and faster. After you have defeated him, the staircase will rise and lead to the first star in this level.
Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-go-round [ edit ]
After entering the course, enter the smaller building, head down the elevator, and go through the doors to reach The Carousel. Five Boos will arrive through one of the paintings. Punch all the Boos from behind to defeat them, before finally fighting the big boo in the same way you did above. Watch out for the painting in the middle of the right wall, as it shoots out flames.
Star 3: Secret Of The Haunted Books [ edit ]
Enter the mansion. Go up the stairs and make a left. Enter the second door on the left wall. Avoid the flying books while running to the end of the shelf. Turn right and run to the end. At the end are three books. Punch them in this order: top, right, left. The bookcase will slide open to reveal a door. Go through the door and there is your star. If you hit the books in the wrong order, the puzzle will reset and a book will fly out from a shelf to attack.
Star 4: Seek The 8 Red Coins [ edit ]
Get all 8 red coins. Look all inside the house. Be sure to go upstairs and downstairs.
- Coin 1: Go to the main door of the house and enter it. After coming inside, make a quick left to the first door. In the room, you will see a piano. Go close to the piano, and it will try to attack you. When the piano moves, there will be a coin in the place it originally was.
- Coins 2 and 3: Go to the door in the room you are currently in The Mad Piano room that is visible straight in front of red coin #1. As soon as you enter the room, jump on top of both of the bookcases in the room. You will now have 3 coins.
- Coin 4: Leave the bookcase room. Go to the door on the other side of the big entrance room. There should only be one door on this wall. Enter it and proceed to get the red coin on the little platform near where a ghost should be. This platform has a window shining right on it.
- Coin 5: Leave the room, and then go up the stairs leading to the second story. When you reach the second story, go directly to the last door on the right. Enter the room. You should see a wall of 2 bookcases. Go to the end of the bookcases. As you are going along the bookcases, two books will most likely try to attack you. Behind the bookcase is a red coin. Get it, but be careful of the moving floor. If you fall, you will have to make your way up to the mansion again. You can identify the moving floor by looking for a crack near the coin.
- Coins 6 and 7: Head back out the way you came and go to the door directly to the left of the door you just left. You will come into a small space with a floating eyeball. Kill it if you would like to. Go into the bigger room connected to the small space, and search the coffins for red coins. The two coins can be found under the front-right coffin and center-left coffin.
- Coin 8: After leaving The Coffins, go to the next room directly left of that as well. You should be in a room above the floating eye and a ghost. There will be red wire stretched across much of the floor. Make your way to the directly opposite wall from the door, where there is a coin.
The star is located on the left side of the entrance room on the second story right under a window. Grab it. Congratulations, you got another star!
A map of the outside of Big Boo's Haunt.
A map of the first floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out.
A map of the second floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out.
A map of the second floor of Big Boo's Haunt, with all the red coin locations marked out, in the Nintendo DS version of the game.
Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony [ edit ]
Go to the second floor and go through the door on the far right. Stand on the platform and look up. You will see a second balcony. Use the power flower box or, if you haven't got to the switch yet, wall kick up there. If you go out the door to the balcony, there will be another big boo. Hit him three times, then get the ? box next to you, or long jump across and climb the roof to get to the star. Use first person to help you walk and jump as some of the walkways are thin and easy to slip from. To get the star, play as Mario so that when you get the ? box you will be able to float up and get the star from the higher point on the roof.
Star 6: Eye To Eye In The Secret Room [ edit ]
Get to the balcony where the blue cap box is, and get it. Go up to the room where the door to big boo's balcony is, and go through the picture of the ghost. When you return to normal, run around the eyeball for the star.
Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (Nintendo DS) [ edit ]
You must be Wario to access the switch. The black bricks in the basement reveal the switch. Run through the outside of the basement carousel in time to get the star.
Star 7: 100 Coins [ edit ]
There are two changes to the route. First, the Brick Blocks at the start are now Black Brick Blocks, which still contain 6 coins but cannot be broken unless you are playing as Wario. There are 5 coins at the very top of the mansion, so after you grab the blue coins from the blue coin switch, head out to the balcony, and try your best to jump up there.
Collect 100 coins. This is made easier when done on stars 2-7.
- Behind you when you start is a Crazy Box. Grab it, and it'll send you sky high. When you land, it breaks open, and you can get five yellow coins.
- On the opposite side of the shed to the Crazy Box are two Brick Blocks, containing 3 coins each for a total of 6 coins.
- There are three Scuttlebugs around the mansion, one at the front and two at the back. They'll give you three coins each for a total of nine coins.
- Also at the back of the mansion, there is a yellow ! Block, which has 10 yellow coins.
- Enter the door at the back of the mansion. There are two Boos there, with a blue coin each, for a total of 10 coins.
- Exit the door, head around to the front, and head in the main doors. Go in the first door on the left, and grab the red coin behind the Mad Piano for two coins.
- Leave that room, and go in the next door. Grab the two red coins in the room for 4 coins total.
- Head out of that room and head into the next room. There is a Mr. I and a Boo, which both contain blue coins.
- The next room has a single Boo with a blue coin in it.
- Go through to the next room and kill the next Boo for five more coins.
- Get the red coin contained in this room and head out.
- Run upstairs and enter the door on the left side of the rear wall. Grab the red coin contained in that room.
- Enter the door on the other side of the rear wall. Kill the Mr. I in that room for a blue coin.
- There are two red coins contained under coffins in the room for 4 more coins.
- Go into the next room, where you can find a red coin on the other side of the bookcase.
- Head up to the top floor. There's a blue coin switch here, which makes four blue coins appear. Grab them, and collect your 100 coin star.
1-Up Locations [ edit ]
The following is where to find both green mushrooms:
- On top of the shed outside.
- On top of the house in a ! block.
- Pages needing cleanup
Main Page Latest News Records Fastest Star Times Miscellaneous Info About This Site
Bob-omb Battlefield Whomp's Fortress Jolly Roger Bay Cool, Cool Mountain Big Boo's Haunt Hazy Maze Cave Lethal Lava Land Shifting Sand Land Dire, Dire Docks Snowman's Land Wet-Dry World Tall, Tall Mountain Tiny-Huge Island Tick Tock Clock Rainbow Ride
Tower of the Wing Cap Vanish Cap Under the Moat Cavern of the Metal Cap The Princess's Secret Slide The Secret Aquarium Wing Mario over the Rainbow Bowser in the Dark World Bowser in the Fire Sea Bowser in the Sky Outside the Castle Inside the Castle Castle Courtyard
Coin collecting tips:.
This level has the most blue coins of them all - 21 in total! You have to track down 11 Boo Buddies, and don't forget you can find some in the Merry-Go- Round. The only real problem you might run into here are the bookends, because if they hit you before you hit them, they'll disappear and you wont get the coins. You don't need to pay any attention to the flying chairs - too bad they don't give you anything. You also can't kill the Mad Piano, but it hides a red coin.
--There are 30 Yellow Coins, 8 Red Coins, and 21 Blue Coins in this course--
- On top of the shed outside
- Inside an ! block on top of the house
- In the main room of the house, on a small balcony (second floor)
- On the first floor of the house, first door on left
- In the secret room with the giant Mr. I (third floor)
- On top of the house (Contains 1UP)
- Behind the house (Contains 10 coins)
- Go on a Ghost Hunt
- Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round
- Secret of the Haunted Books
- Seek the 8 red coins
- Big Boo's Balcony
- Eye to Eye in the secret room
- 100-coin star
Super Mario 64: Big Boo's Haunt Stars
Course five in Super Mario 64 adds another classic Mario trope to the game - a great big ghost house in the finest Super Mario World tradition.
To access this course, you don't just jump through a painting: you'll need to go through the first set of wooden doors in the castle lobby, then follow the Boo through to a courtyard. As well as the infamous L is Real plaque, you'll find boos here. You defeat them by getting behind them and punching them. One of the Boos will have a bird cage inside it. Defeat that Boo then approach the bird cage to be transported to Big Boo's Haunt , aka level five.
Big Boo's Haunt Star 1: Go on a Ghost Hunt
Enter the main house. Your mission is simple - you need to go through all of the rooms of the haunted mansion and defeat all the Boos. Every time you defeat a Boo, you'll her a voice telling you ghost don't die, but keep at it. When you defeat all five, Big Boo will spawn in the lobby of the mansion. You'll need to fight Big Boo, and then a star will appear on the second floor, complete with some handy stairs to reach it. Easy!
Big Boo's Haunt Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round
There's a smaller building near the mansion. Take a lift down to the basement (you can also reach this by falling into a pit in the mansion proper) - down here you'll find a Merry-Go Round. It'll spin while Boos Spawn around you. Defeat five Boos, and then Big Boo returns again - defeat it the same as before in order to obtain the star. Watch out for the fire that is spat at you as an extra obstacle!
Big Boo's Haunt Star 3: Secret of the Haunted Books
Head to the second floor of the mansion lobby, then head to the left side of the room and take the right-hand door. This is the library, and books will attack you. Avoid them and head through to where there are three books are hanging out of the bookcase. You need to punch and kick these back into place, but in a strict order, a lot like the chests you open in Jolly Roger Bay . Hit the books back in place in this order: top/center, bottom/right, middle/left. A secret passageway to the star will open.
Once Mario reaches the second floor of the Foyer, he should take the right hand door on the left side of the room. This will lead him into a small library. As Mario heads around the library, small books shoot out themselves from the shelves; these will injure him if not avoided, and are not to be confused with the books with teeth that attack Mario in other rooms. Once the plumber has rounded the corner, he will come to a wall with three books jutting out of the wall. If Mario punches or kicks them in the right order, the wall will move away revealing a door. If he hits the books in an incorrect order, a small book will attack him and the books will reset. Once he enters through the door, he will be able to claim this mission's Power Star. The correct order would be top, bottom and middle (or center, right, left).
Big Boo's Haunt Star 4: Seek the 8 Red Coins
All of the Big Boo's Haunt red coins are found within the mansion, scattered across the two floors:
- Behind the terrifying possessed piano enemy.
- In the next room on from the piano room, there's a coin on top of the bookcase.
- Also on top of the bookcases in the same room as red coin 2.
- Through the next door in the lobby (ground floor, top left), wall kick up to the grate in the ceiling to find it.
- Behind the bottom right lobby door, on a platform, guarded by a boo.
- In the second floor room with the moving coffins, hidden under one.
- Hidden under another coffin in the same room as red coin 6.
- In the room on the far right of upstairs - easy to get.
Big Boo's Haunt Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony
Head upstairs in the mansion and go through the far door on the right. There's a ledge here you have to wall kick up to. Get up there, head through the door and then through the double doors to the balcony. Defeat Big Boo once again up here and grab yourself the star. It's on the roof, and that can be hard to get to - long jumps will be your friend here. It might take a few tries.
Big Boo's Haunt Star 6: Eye to Eye in the Secret Room
On the second floor of the mansion, go through the furthest right door again. Head through the doors to where there's an invisibility/vanish cap in a blue box (if you've unlocked it). Grab it and then run back to that room, flipping up to the hidden ledge we used to reach the last star. In the attic where the double doors to the balcony are, there's a painting of a Boo. With the vanish cap equipped, you can walk through this painting to find a secret room. There's a huge eye enemy here. Defeat it by making it dizzy, and the power star appears.
Big Boo's Haunt Star 7: Collect 100 Coins
Big Boo's Haunt only has 21 yellow coins, so enemies become key - there's 21 blue coins inside certain enemies, plus the red coins. There's over 150 coins total in the stage, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the 100 coin star.
With the fright-fest over, your next destination is the Hazy Maze Cave .
Anime Champions Simulator codes
Blade Ball codes
All Cyberpunk 2077 Relic Point locations
Cyberpunk 2077 best Relic skills in Phantom Liberty
BE THE BEST V Cyberpunk 2077 Guide: How to become a Night City Legend
SPY VS SPY CP2077 The Killing Moon: How to get the best ending in Phantom Liberty
Genshin Impact codes
Best EAFC 24 Wonderkids to sign in Career Mode
Buy our t-shirts, yeah
They're far more stylish than your average video game website tat.
Vote for a featured article !
- Levels in Super Mario 64
Big Boo's Haunt
- View history
Big Boo's Haunt is the fifth course in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS , and is located in the Castle Courtyard . The course itself is a three-story mansion located in a small cage. To gain access to the level, the player must defeat the larger one of the Boos in the castle courtyard, then walk up to the small mansion in a cage that appears. Unlike most other courses, Big Boo's Haunt is one of the rare courses that is not accessed via a painting. Instead, Mario must travel to the castle's courtyard (after he has collected twelve Power Stars, fifteen in the DS remake) and defeat a Big Boo. The Boo will drop a small cage containing the course. Mario gets teleported to Big Boo's Haunt upon entering this cage.
Mario shrinks as he is entering the cage to Big Boo's Haunt. The level is bounded by what appears to be the bars of a cage, like the one in the entrance to the course, suggesting, along with his entrance into the level, that Mario has shrunk. The course's background is a night sky located in a dark forest.
Big Boo's Haunt is inhabited by none other than Big Boo himself. There is a small shack on the side of the mansion that has a lift to the basement. In the center of the basement is a large merry-go-round with many Boos and some Flamethrowers . There is also the Mad Piano (a piano that comes to life and tries to bite Mario if he gets too close), Bookends (books which emerge from the bookshelves and launch themselves at Mario), and Killer Chairs (chairs which levitate before attacking). Big Boo's Haunt is also home to Big Mr. I . There are two entrances into the main building: the front door immediately visible upon entering the level, and a single back door that leads into a room containing two Boos. This course is one of a few that contain bridges made of bricks that fall away when walked upon. Big Boo's Haunt is the only course that does not share a theme with another course. The music for the Merry-Go-Round is also used in the minigames Lakitu Launch , Bingo Ball , and Slots Shot . In the DS remake, the third floor also contains a painting to the Big Boo Battle which appears to be located on the tower (highest floor) of Big Boo's Haunt where King Boo resides. This place is also where Mario unlocks Luigi .
In Super Mario 64 DS , this is the only main course that Yoshi can't access at all; he can't defeat Boos in this game, nor can he successfully eat any.
- 2.1 Star 1: Go on a Ghost Hunt
- 2.2 Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry Go Round
- 2.3 Star 3: Secret of the Haunted Books
- 2.4 Star 4: Seek the 8 Red Coins
- 2.5 Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony
- 2.6 Star 6: Eye to Eye in the Secret Room
- 2.7 Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (DS)
- 2.8 100 Coins
- 3 Enemies Encountered
- 6 See also:
20 October 2022
24 June 2021
Features [ ]
The course features a large building and grounds, with three floors, an accessible balcony that leads to the roof, and a basement. A separate building found in the basement contains a speedy merry-go-round in the sewers. The boss, who is fought a number of times, is Big Boo .
In the DS remake, there is also a secret area, where you fight King Boo so that you can play as Luigi . It's accessible through the painting of Luigi in the third floor.
Star 1: Go on a Ghost Hunt [ ]
To complete this star Mario must enter the mansion and defeat the six Boos located on the ground floor of the mansion. Once this is done, the Big Boo appears in the mansion hall. Once Mario defeats the Big Boo, the stairs to the upper floor of the mansion are revealed, along with the star for the level located at the top of the stairs. The locations of the Boos are as follows
- Two are located inside a small room which can be accessed from the back of the mansion. Alternatively, since the room is interconnected to the kitchen room with the Killer Chairs, you can wait for them and they will come out of the painting.
- Inside the small room with the Mr. I.
- In the room with the crumbling bridge, cross the bridge and defeat the Boo.
- In the room on the far right, defeat the Boo near the ledge, attack the Boo but be sure not to fall off the edge or you will have to climb back up.
Star 2: Ride Big Boo's Merry Go Round [ ]
To complete this star Mario must enter a separate building near the mansion. Mario must go down the elevator, and go through the door at the end of the corridor. Once this is done, Mario must head through the nearest door. Inside is a big Merry Go Round. Six boos come out of the paintings one by one. Once the boos are defeated, the Big Boo appears. Once he is defeated, the Merry Go Round stops, and the star is revealed.
Star 3: Secret of the Haunted Books [ ]
To complete this star Mario must enter the mansion and climb the stairs to the top floor and enter the second door on the left. After entering the door, Mario must head down the corridor and punch the books in the correct order. Once this is done, the bookcase opens, and a secret platform with the star is revealed.
Star 4: Seek the 8 Red Coins [ ]
To complete this star Mario must head into the mansion and find the 8 Red Coins scattered on the upper and lower floors of the mansion. After the 8 Red Coins are found, the star is revealed in the main hall of the mansion. The locations of each Red Coin are listed below.
- Behind the Mad Piano's resting spot.
- In the dining room with the Killer Chairs atop the Bookshelf.
- In the aforementioned room atop the other Bookshelf.
- On the room on the far right on the ledge near the pit.
- Atop the red mesh platforms above the Mr. I's room.
- Inside the Mr. I's room on the upper floor below one of the coffins.
- Inside the Mr. I's room on the upper floor below another one of the coffins, in the DS remake, this Red Coin was moved parallel to the stairs above them. The Red Coin be reached either by using Luigi's backflip, Mario's Balloon Powers from the Power Flower , or triple jumping as Mario or Luigi.
- On the far right room on the second floor behind a corner near the trapdoor.
One all 8 Red Coins have been collected, the Star will appear on the second floor on the left balcony.
Star 5: Big Boo's Balcony [ ]
To complete this star, Mario must enter the mansion and head up to the upper floor and enter the second door to the right. Once inside Mario must wall-jump off one of walls and reach a door on the third floor (in Super Mario 64 DS, Mario can also use the power flower to get there). Mario must then enter the door on the third floor. On the other side of the door is a balcony with Big Boo on it. Once Mario defeats Big Boo the star is revealed on the roof of the mansion. In the DS remake, Luigi can use his backflip to reach the roof much easier.
Star 6: Eye to Eye in the Secret Room [ ]
To complete this star Mario must enter the mansion and head to the upper floor, then enter the second door to the right. Once this is done Mario must go to the other side of the room and enter the door. On the other side of the door is the Vanish Cap . Mario must put on the Vanish Cap, head to the third floor and enter the painting of a boo before the Vanish Cap runs out. Inside is a Boo and an unusually large Mr. I . Once Mr.I is defeated the star is revealed.
In the DS remake, to complete this star, enter the stage as Luigi, enter the second door to the right in the upper floor and hit the ? block in that room to get the power flower (instead of the vanish cap).
Star 7: Switch Star in the Basement (DS) [ ]
Enter the course as Wario and immediately run into the small cabin to the left (not the main house). Take the elevator down to the basement level and wade through the halls of water until you go through a doorway. You'll find a large black-brick block in the basement that Wario can ground pound to crush—hit the star switch underneath and very quickly run around to the other side of the basement to grab the star.
However, there's a problem: Wario is slow. Before you hit the switch, run to the other side of the basement to grab the Mario cap from under the water (you can see it on your map). Now that you've transformed to Mario, step on the switch again and quickly run to the star. Mario's much faster than Wario, making it pretty easy to get the golden power star.
100 Coins [ ]
Simply collect 100 coins from the stage. Most of the enemies in the stage release Blue Coins, making this task much easier. The Blue Coin switch allows for a further twenty to be collected, and the eight Red Coins should take the player near the 100 mark.
Enemies Encountered [ ]
- Scuttle Bug
- Killer Chair
- Big Boo (BOSS)
- Big Mr. I (BOSS)
- This course marks the first appearance of Mr. I .
- Big Boo's Haunt is one of the levels in the game that doesn't contain a true painting leading to the level, the others being Shifting Sand Land , Dire, Dire Docks , Snowman's Land and Rainbow Ride .
- Big Boo is the only boss you fight multiple times (other than Bowser and some others in the DS version).
- This course becomes available at 13 stars (13 being an unlucky number. Ghosts, which boos resemble, are another unlucky symbol).
- This is the only course that requires the defeat of an enemy in order to gain access.
- Most, if not all enemies release blue coins which restore lots of health.
- Most big drops have water at the bottom which cushions the fall.
- Very few enemies in the course actually pursue Mario. The only ones that do are the haunted books, the killer chairs, and piano.
- It is fairly easy to acquire invisibility caps which prevent most damage.
- This course is completely enclosed, similar to Bob-omb Battlefield .
- There are no "instant death" obstacles.
- The entrance to this course, as well as the boundaries of the course seem to resemble a bird cage.
- The house is eerily similar in frontal appearance to Luigi's Mansion , which had not released until five years later in 2001.
- This is the only course in the game that doesn't share its music with another course.
- The bars around the course resemble the bars on the cage of the course's entrance, suggesting, along with his entrance in the course that Mario has shrunk.
Gallery [ ]
See also: [ ].
- Ghost House
- 2 Princess Peach