“ I am your host, the ma n they call Ghost. ” — Ghost
Ghost is a short-tempered businessman from Austin, Texas , currently residing in San Antonio and thought to be old or middle aged. He claims to be a rich man, running a business throughout Texas, and making 'major capital' in the Stock Markets as well. He has a complete family (although he dislikes the "extended uncles and aunts"), and lives well off, spending time consuming large amounts of alcohol (unless he's being abstinent at the time), having made his infamous broadcast, True Capitalist Radio (which aired regularly every Monday, Wednesday and Friday unless stated otherwise), and doing his new broadcast, The Ghost Show .
Ghost makes many outlandish claims, and although he stresses the truth in the things he says, some of them are possibly fictitious (such as making a thousand plus dollars a month on BlogTalkRadio ), so not everything he states in his show should be taken as a base fact. Many attempts have been made to dox him and reveal his identity, yet he remains elusive to his listeners, and only drops small hints about what he does in his life, with no possible tips to accidentally expose his information.
He began recording on Blog Talk Radio in early 2008. During his first two years of broadcasting his show was named True Conservative Republican Radio (renamed to simply True Conservative Radio after eight episodes) and moved over to independent broadcasting from his website ghost.report in May 2018 after he was demonetized by the new BTR management. The main content of Ghost's show consists of giving a report and his personal predictions of Stock Market trades as well as giving a summary of news events. He has a sizable amount of knowledge on all things, whether they be internet memes, or political and economic factors - yet he takes a very strong stance on almost anything, usually the right wing. Incidentally, Ghost is a veteran of the Vietnam War [46:04 ], though he doesn't like it when his callers bring the topic up and prefers to avoid talking about his experiences altogether. He has a short temper, and often loses it multiple times per broadcast, occasionally going to the point where either his voice goes out or he starts yelling unintelligibly.
Ghost started his life on the web at Yahoo Groups, opening a class of Political Science in 2006. A Wikia page was created for this class, and Ghost's first recorded Troll occurred when his wikia page was vandalized by a user/student named Beridan. After Ghost's school of Political Science had ended, he moved to the Paltalk Chat program, and opened a chatroom of his own in 2006. This chatroom was used off and on until the temporary closing of TCR in 2012.
He began recording on BlogTalkRadio in early 2008. His first show on record is January 11th 2008, although he claims to have started it all on January 8th. Ghost also says many of his early users were Paltalk members. During his first two years of broadcasting his show was named True Conservative Republican Radio however Ghost would quickly rename it to True Conservative Radio. The show during this time was normally two hours long and politically based. These shows consisted of him imposing his far-right political views and denigrating those who did not have his same exact political views. Though his early shows were not being raided by trolls ; Ghost still functioned on hate. He continually took extreme positions of various subjects. He would also invite those who disagreed with him to call up the show and vocalize this belief. He would also enjoy reading off hate mail during his broadcast. However, the trolls would eventually find Ghost and begin their raids. By the end of his second year, trolls were a vital part of his program.
During his third year, Ghost took an extended break, and did not broadcast from early September 2010 to early January 2011. When he returned on the 11th of January 2011, he announced there would be a change in the show's format. The change consisted of Ghost leaving behind his Conservative roots in favor of a new belief system he agreed with: capitalism . During his first year as True Capitalist Radio, trolling would reach it's critical mass as troll raids were conducted and trolls became famous within themselves.
On the 29th of January 2012, Ghost announced via Twitter , that he would leave BlogTalkRadio at the end of February, due to the cost of hosting a show (despite making a 300% profit on advertising). This coincided with the events of Troll War III , which could also have been a factor. He later caved in and bought another month on BTR. Also on the 8th of March, Ghost made a similar claim over twitter, but reverted the next day, saying the show was not ending after all.
Finally, on May 24th, 2012, and again on June 1st, Ghost confirmed his program was ending for good. He claimed it was consuming so much of his life (3 hour shows every day) that he was neglecting his family. Ghost also admitted to faking some of his rage: "[...] I talked about how I faked the rage when it came down to the stupid memes I wanted to be popular and that sort of thing. I mean don't get me wrong! The rages related to the political and the social components and the capitalist components they were genuine, they were a 100% genuine!"
On November 12th 2015, Ghost posted a message to his YouTube page in two parts. In he, he addressed many of his predictions he claimed had come true during his absence, including those about Bashar Al-Assad , Obama , and gay marriage. He confirmed he still had his brick-and-mortar businesses, and in addition, made a new prediction that the 2016 economy would see a crash that made the last downturn seem 'like a picnic'.
On March 20th the following year, Ghost made his first BlogTalkRadio broadcast in nearly four years - a so-called Emergency Broadcast , addressing the Capitalist Army about the upcoming election, Donald Trump , and current events. The first proper 'new' episode, number 227 , was aired five days later.
On May 8th, 2017, Ghost put the show on break again after supposedly being fed up with the people the show attracts. He initially claimed he would return on July 4th, however this was pushed back indefinitely, and later Ghost finally came back on October 31st.
Ghost left BTR in March 2018, and resumed broadcasting on his own site, ghost.report, in May of that same year. Ghost went on an indefinite hiatus in November 2018, due to him being pissed off over the state of America. He returned on New Year's Eve, just moments away from the start of 2019, with a new broadcast, The Ghost Show .
For More See: History of Ghost
With each news event, Ghost gives his listeners a chance to call up with their opinions on each news subject. The majority of them, of course, use this opportunity to troll him in one of several ways, which Ghost will react to in many different ways, depending on the quality of the trolling. At some points of the show when Ghost is pushed to his limits, a sound akin to aluminum cans being thrown can be heard in the background. Due to his easily baited nature, it is popularly believed that Ghost himself is a troll and is leading his listeners along for the ride when they think they are trolling him. He relies on his sidekick character, Engineer , to do most of the basic work with his show, even going so far as to tell Engineer to kick people off of the voice line when they anger him.
Ghost is also notorious for handing segments of the show over to 'special guests' , which is really just an excuse for him to spend five minutes making racist, heavily accented impersonations of national stereotypes . He mostly enjoys having them on the show, and often cites it as proof that he has listeners all over the world. Note this is also the only evidence he has given that he has non-white friends, or even friends at all. His 'guest' list includes: Tyrone ( Black ), Mr. Fortune Cookie ( Chinese ), The Guru (mainly Indian), Paco ( Mexican ) and Mahmoud/Machmoud (Member of the Libyan rebel faction, but later pretty much any Arab country).
Ghost is known for having an exuberant amount of personality and for his use of many self-coined terms and quotes . Ghost is known for his wild claims, such as always profiting, no matter how bad the markets are, sleeping only four hours a night yet feeling energized and for programming his own operating system, Penix 2.0 . Ghost often claims that he could beat up any of his callers and even professional fighters and wrestlers. Ghost is a self proclaimed bad ass (The Bad Ass of Business) and is known for shocking viewers with his radical opinions and for holding nothing back during his prank calls.
Ghost is often disgusted by the current state of America (often referring to it as Junkyard America ). He calls out No Personality Having Jerk Dicks that call up his show and say lame sentence-fragments in attempts to get lulz. He can often be heard in the background of calls saying "This is horrible; this is just horrible. I mean, are you hearing this? This is America. These are real callers folks, I'm not making this up. This is disgusting."
Ghost is strongly against organized religion , but swiftly denies being an atheist, claiming " you expect me to believe we got shit out by some ape? You've got to be kidding me ." Ghost regularly gives speeches about how religion, among other things such as racism and political romanticism, is one of the main things holding back society. He mentioned in Paltalk how he did not believe in a specific religion, but refused to think our world came into being without a higher power of some sort, whether it be a force or a deity. Ghost demonstrates some residual Christian beliefs - for example, his distaste toward homosexuality and his outrage at Satanic splices, as well as occasional statements that he is praying for listeners. He became significantly more religious during the 2016 elections and Donald Trump 's presidency due to the grim events going on in the world during that time.
Ghost is often called a racist by his callers because of the way he covers news stories, often referring to people as racial stereotypes and because of his special guests and playing of Guess the Minority . Ghost always denies these rumors swiftly. He once conducted an entire broadcast to end the allegations.
To listeners however, Ghost seems to feel hostility towards countries other than the US and states other than Texas . The extent of Ghost's negative opinions of other countries was further revealed in the various trolling acts in Radio Graffiti - for example playing the national anthem of another country.
His rants on Jewish people, and over-protectiveness against being identified as a Jew himself , prompted the nickname of " Ghostler ," after Adolf Hitler, to be commonly used on troll calls. Ghost pronounces Canada as 'Canadia', and called their national anthem the "Canadian Bacon National Anthem". Ghost also hates Oklahoma , because of their rivalry with his alma mater, University of Texas, Austin. Ghost hates Russians , Cubans, the Chinese , and any present or former communist territories. He doesn't like Germany for anything but its beer, or France for any reason whatsoever and countries of European Union in general (with the exceptions of Poland and Hungary ) for their handling of European Migrant Crisis , embracing of political correctness and feminism as well as opposition towards Trump's policies, and he now often refers to Europeans as "Euro Cucks ".
Ghost denies all allegations of him being hateful by claiming that he is a " melting pot of friendship " and that he does not care what ethnicity, gender, sexuality or nationality one is as long as they are a capitalist and not mooching from the government, though he backpedaled on these words when it came to Anime watchers. He has made and maintained on-air friendships with various people and characters of different nationalities, sexualities and races, including Asho (since the Return ) and Goofy Bone , though he occasionally still makes friendly jokes about them.
Since his return , Ghost has started to show signs of paranoia during his broadcast, often openly worrying that he is being monitored by the government . Occasionally, Ghost might stop the show for a while if he talks about a subject matter he feels might anger the conspiratorial groups that are following him and start looking out the windows, sometimes claiming he saw a drone/chopper/suspicious person and in Episode 377 seemingly going as far as pulling off a gun in the fear that a SWAT team was going to bum rush his house. According to Ghost, the government began to monitor him during his absence because of his show and even put him on a no fly list, he even went as far as to claim that he began to saw ice cream trucks in front of his house in the middle of winter and that he has even managed to attract the attention of other countries ' intelligence services.
After the MaskedPony Incident , Ghost, for a short time, underwent somewhat of a personality change. His vocabulary became somewhat vulgar, dropping F-bombs more than usual, and became more bitter and angry, having even attempted to call back a splicer implying he was a pedophile and saved the number, assuming it was MaskedPony . Ghost eventually cooled down from the incident after a few days, but
As proven in Episode 329 , Ghost is incredibly antisocial, as he hates the concept of friendship and only has his family and "acquaintances". However, after forming the "Ghost Inner Circle", he claimed that everyone who bought into that were "his friends". Ghost again devolved back into his borderline-misanthropy after The Betrayal , believing all friends will eventually become "whiny emotional vampires". This attitude only got worse after Inner Circle went through a number of dramas, and Ghost conducted a full scale purge to get rid of the undesirable members. Ghost has been also shown on occasion to snap at callers for no reason, whether they forget that they're on the line or be honest with him , but this could just be his character on the show, and not reflect his personality in real-life.
Ghost is a self-described 'Capitalist' and "Classical Liberal" (not to be confused with Modern Liberals ), usually taking self-proclaimed "Capitalist" stances on issues. Ghost sees capitalism as the advancement of society and science and has little respect for people who refuse to become capitalists ( Welfare recipients , Communists/Socialists ). He was strongly against the Occupy Wall Street Protests because he saw the protesters as socialists who were trying to get more cash on their welfare checks and supported Herman Cain as a GOP Candidate for the 2012 US Presidential Election as well as Donald Trump in the 2016 US Presidential Election because he saw them as "Capitalist" candidates.
Ghost is strongly opposed to political romanticism, monarchism, racism ( maybe ), multiculturalism, socialism, communism , modern liberalism and Keynesianism. Ghost believes that the only way for humanity to progress is to accept Capitalism and to allow creativity to flourish.
For a time, he was endorsing Herman Cain , whom he nicknamed Herman "Sugar" Cain, until Herman's decision to suspend his campaign and his subsequent endorsement of Newt Gingrich , a man Ghost loathes.
Ghost, despite no longer being a conservative, often has conservative opinions on topics. He is against having multiple-children, especially if they cannot be supported by the family. He has often said " No more breeders ". Ghost often claims that America used to be a much better place and that now it is Junkyard America . He says " We used to be the bastion of capitalism, now we're the bastards of capitalism ."
Ghost strongly supports independent creativity on the Internet. He is strongly against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA), to the point of devoting large amounts of time discussing them. Ghost became much more cynical about the subject after his 2016 return believing that, while he was against it, internet censorship was an inevitability because of the various sexual deviants as well as trolls inhabiting it and that he wouldn't ultimately feel bad about the censorship as long as these people are kept away from the internet. He defended the much hated Federal Communications Commission chairman, Ajit Pai , and his controversial Net Neutrality act because he believed that it would drive Autists off the internet. This drew much ire from some of his listeners, especially KaraszKun .
Ghost criticizes Hollywood and the record labels for " having a monopoly on creativity " and their celebrities, most of whom are politically aligned to the left.
Ghost usually takes supportive stances on uprisings of oppressed populations, such as the 2009 and 2018 uprisings in Iran , the 2011 Syrian Uprising and protests in Russia against Vladimir Putin 's rule in 2012 and 2018, but other times he has stood against revolutions, like the 2011 Libyan and Egyptian Revolutions and Syrian revolution after it started to transform into a full blown civil war. Ghost claimed that the Libyan Rebels had connections to Al-Qaeda, that the Egyptians were just a bunch of "primitive wild jahooties" manipulated by an evil man to go out and rape and pillage and that the chance to help the Syrians was lost after many of Assad's opponents started turning radical . He usually opposes authoritarian regimes, such as North Korea and Saudi Arabia , but he has also defended some of them, such as Augusto Pinochet 's Chile and the former Brazilian military junta for their actions in countering Communism and defending Capitalism in their countries.
Ghost has been a strong critic of Anonymous mostly because, according to Ghost, of their meaningless ("for the lulz") actions. Ghost praised the Lulzsec hacks for "actually doing it for a reason" following the hacking of foreign governmental websites. He shares similar views on the members of the /pol/ board of 4chan , whose views he tends to support, but who are often more focused on trolling and being jerks on the internet than trying to be active on the political field. Some groups have expressed positive opinions on Ghost and his broadcast, while others (like the GNAA and Media Bias/Fact Check) have been more critical.
Ghost has frequently shown extreme skepticism towards scientific community, especially the field of astronomy and space travel to the point that he entirely denies the existence of space, assuming that NASA, the government and the entire scientific community are part of a major conspiracy to delude everyone, that the Moon landings never happened, and that NASA spends most of its budget on fabricating evidence of other celestial objects. Ghost has also actively encouraged his listeners to not listen health advice commonly given to the population and has instead encouraged people to eat high fat food such as butter because his old doctor once said "a stick of butter a day keeps the doctor away" as well as consume large amounts of salt.
Ghost used to be skeptical towards most conspiracy theories and often lauded Alex Jones because of how out of touch his theories were with reality. However since his return in 2016, Ghost has started to take such theories seriously and now supports theories about the existence of New World Order, extensively talked about how the political elite runs a child prostitution ring and believes that nearly every terrorist attack in recent history has been a false flag that was designed to promote certain political agenda.
Ghost, a former Conservative, now consumes large amounts of alcohol. During his final episode of the True Conservative Radio, after a four month break, he admitted that he became a regular drinker and smoker in attempt to make the pain caused by witnessing the current state of America go away.
Often heard talking about his common consumption of alcohol, it has sparked rumors that Ghost is addicted to alcohol, commonly referred to as an alcoholic. Ghost rejects these claims by saying "I'm not an alcoholic; I'm a connoisseur". His favorite alcoholic beverages include Miller High Life, Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Spaten Optimator . It was found out that a bar Ghost often visits is the Mean Eyed Cat Bar on 6th Street . Some have gone so far as to conclude that he is the bar's owner, Chris Marsh .
Given his age, it's not surprising that Ghost has been negatively effected by this alcohol consumption. He admitted since March 2017 that his alcohol consumption is a problem and has tried to abstain from drinking several times in the broadcast, but he has usually fallen off the wagon after some time. In Capitalist Episode 526 he admitted that his drinking had caused him bleeding ulcers in his internal organs, and in Capitalist Episode 592 , he described how the substance had taken a severe toll on his mental health. He started having severe anxiety attacks from time to time, and his addiction was so bad that he was genuinely afraid to go cold turkey in fear of its side effects.
Ghost's age is one of the many things about him that's remained a complete mystery. He appears to be careful to avoid disclosing his exact age, alluding only to the fact that he's been around for a long time. However, thanks to his claims of supposedly serving in the Vietnam War, it's definite that he's at least 60 as of 2019, as Vietnam ended in 1975 and you had to be at least 17 to serve the American military. The first drafting calls started in 1969 and ended in 1972, If ghost was drafted that would make him atleast 64 (As of 2020 of course). the US began withdrawing most of its troops in 1973, so Ghost was probably born in the early or mid 1950s, making it likely Ghost is somewhere in his 60's-70's now. He is thus a Baby Boomer , which is ironic considering his hatred for his own generation. The theory of Ghost being born in the 1950s is also consistent with his story that his son was a teenager in the early 1990s, his current status as a grandfather, and his extensive knowledge of music and events from the last half of the 20th century. In some 2020 episodes of The Ghost Show, Ghost claims to be part of Generation X despite the earliest Gen Xers being born in 1965. However, his statement of "not having much longer to live" implies that he could be experiencing his Twilight years, reflecting his earlier baby boomer status.
This section of this article provides a small overview on trolling. For the full article, see Trolling Tactics .
The most common forms of trolling, when it comes to Ghost, are remixes and audio splices . Remixes musically manipulate Ghost's voice, mixing his words into either a song he sang on the air or into other music. Common phrases used in the latter case include 'melting pot of friendship' and, more recently, ' hambone '. This type of trolling generally causes Ghost to exhibit moderate anger, although he seems more agitated by remixes that are made of him singing a song soon after he sang it on the show. He refers to this as instantaneous real time remixing.
'Audio splicing' is the act of cutting and pasting lines of Ghost's spoken words in order to make him say things that he would never normally say. These range from Ghost seemingly admitting to being racist to beating his son and grandmother. Ghost's rage depends on how believable the splices sound, how elaborate they are, and how offensive the topic is. He will be quick to point out the faked quality of poorly done splices that have obvious spikes of emotion between his words. A few trolls are succeeding through this method, and cause reactions from Ghost ranging from moderate anger to full-on cans.wav . Ghost has Rage Quit from a few broadcasts because of offensive Audio Splices and Remixes - most notably from the '10-year old boy ass' splice, and the first ever splice, citing that Ghost was a racist.
There is a third type of troll regularly seen on the show: regular callers. These characters include Asho , a troll who claims to be a neglected Hispanic child. It got some rage out of Ghost, until he realized Asho was a fake. One of the more popular trolls is Ghetto Capitalist , a man who claims to abuse an EBT Card for his own monetary gain. Due to his own beliefs on government handouts, this tends to cause Ghost a great deal of anger. Some other recurring and persistent trolls are:
- Austin Vibrator - A man who makes a noise similar to a sex toy vibrator.
- Horny the Clown - Just a simple clown horn sound.
- Tub Guy - A man who claims to listen to the show in his bathtub. Well known for his phrase 'Oh my'.
- Suck Mah Dick Guy - A man whose well known phrase is 'Suck mah diiiiick'. Known for holding conversations using various voice impressions or audio clips made to emulate a setpiece before initiating his catchphrase.
- Tri$ha - A very high pitch voiced transsexual who regularly called up.
- The Aborted Fetus - A little kid who has made Ghost rage hard on various occasions, and state that every parent has thrown their children into woodchippers . He disappeared on the August 11, 2011 episode.
- EquestrianCitizen978 - A 'black' brony who successfully made Ghost rage multiple times, and also secured two "last-call" spots. He and Ghost seem to be friends now.
- Internet Buttstalker - An effeminate man who requests Ghost to show his "toolbox" and admits his love for Ghost. He has a job serving glory holes.
- Asho - An abused 8 year old Mexican Justin Bieber kid who feared not being able to "shoot" after he was punched in the balls by his aunt, watches porn, has sex with prostitutes and with people in his school, and drinks beer when his mother is at Applebee's looking for Alabama black snake. He was dubbed Best Mexican in the 2011 Ghosties. As of The Return, Asho is now a (mostly) serious caller who goes to college.
- Ghetto Capitalist - A Californian, ghetto EBT recipient who always calls at the 1st of every month, boasting about getting his checks. He has a baby constantly crying in the background of his calls, often to be the first thing heard to identify him. The child could suffer from months of diaper rash, according to Ghost. He and his friend Pookie devise scams to get rich, like pretending to still live in the state he formerly moved from to collect EBT from 2 states at once. He was dubbed the TCR Troll Of The Year in the 2011 Ghosties.
- Minor Trolls , who still can make frequent appearances on the show, and add on to the headache that Ghost gets from their sick, twisted behaviors.
Since the Return, Ghost has been hit with newer trolls that piss him off almost as much as the original ones. While a few of Ghost's old trolls have returned, he does sometimes miss the old days of trolling. Some of the new trolls included:
- Boat073 - A regular troll who usually makes remixes of things Ghost had just said moments ago , causing Ghost to say that he's "internet buttstalker-esque".
- Pylons - A splicer and remixer best known for messing with Ghost's intro .
- Germit the Gay Frog - A parody of Kermit the Frog who usually makes sexual comments towards Ghost.
- African Booty Scratcher - A splicer who originally started out as a form of chain-calls , but eventually became his own character, known for causing cans.wav with almost every call he makes.
- Twilie Atkins (formerly) - A supposedly female troll that started out making MLP-related calls before becoming a splicer. Known for having called in twice in a row during Capitalist Episode 344 . Though since Episode 48 has since retired, dissociated with any former trolls and removed her archive.
- Ghost's Granny - Not to be confused with Ghost's actual deceased grandmother, the troll uses a voice modulator and poses as a less "pious" version of her, toying with Ghost's emotions as a result of his nostalgia.
Sometimes, Ghost doesn't even need to be trolled. He has made mistakes on-air before (See this video for an example). Ghost can occasionally make himself rage simply by reading the news , or even by making any grammatical mistakes , the former of which was prevalent nearly every day on the True Conservative Radio broadcast.
In this section.
- Selected Publications
- Outside Professional Activities
Pippa Norris , the Paul F. McGuire Lecturer in Comparative Politics at HKS, and Faculty Affiliate in the Department of Government, has taught at Harvard for three decades. She compares democracy, public opinion, elections, political communications, & gender politics worldwide. Google Scholar ranks her 2nd worldwide in political science citations, the SSRN ranks her 2nd in political science, Research.com ranks her 7th worldwide and 5th nationally in political science, & Ioannidis et al (2019) rank her as the most cited political scientist in the world.
Major honors include the Johan Skytte prize (known informally as the 'Nobel' prize in political science), Karl Deutsch prize, Kathleen Fitzpatrick Australian Laureate , Sir Isaiah Berlin Lifetime Achievement Award , fellowship of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , Warren E. Miller Award, Sakip Sabanci Award, Murray Edelman Lifetime Achievement award, Samuel Eldersfeld Lifetime Career Achievement Awar d, Charles E. Merriam Award, George Hallet Award , Brown Medal for Democracy , Doris Graber award, and honorary doctorates from Edinburgh, Bergen, Leuphena, & Warwick.
She has published around fifty books (many subsequently translated into dozens of languages). These include In Praise of Skepticism (2022), Cultural Backlash (2019, with Inglehart), Strengthening Electoral Integrity (2017), Why Elections Fail (2015), Why Electoral Integrity Matters (2014), Making Democratic Governance Work: The Impact of Regimes on Prosperity, Welfare and Peace (2012), Democratic Deficits: Critical Citizens Revisited (2011), Cosmopolitan Communications (with Inglehart, 2009), Driving Democracy (2008), Radical Right (2005), Sacred and Secular (with Inglehart, 2004, 2010, winner of the 2005 Virginia Hodgkinson Prize), Electoral Engineering (2004), Rising Tide (with Inglehart, 2003), Democratic Phoenix (2002), Digital Divide (2001), A Virtuous Circle (2000) (winner of the 2006 Doris A. Graber prize), & Political Recruitment (winner of the George Hallet prize).
Edited books include Electoral Integrity in America (OUP 2018), Checkbook Elections (OUP 2016), Watchdog Elections (2016), Contentious Elections (Edited, Routledge), Advancing Electoral Integrity (Edited with Frank and Martinez, OUP 2014), Comparing Democracies 4 (edited with Leduc and Niemi, Sage 2014), Public Sentinel: News Media and the Governance Reform Agenda (edited, World Bank,2009), Framing Terrorism; Comparing Democracies 2; Britain Votes 2001; Critical Citizens; On Message; Critical Elections; The Politics of News (2nd edition in press); Elections and Voting Behaviour; Britain Votes 1997; Electoral Change Since 1945; Women, Media and Politics; Comparing Democracies; Women in Politics; Political Recruitment; Different Voices, Different Lives; Gender and Party Politics; British By-elections; Politics and Sexual Equality .
She established the Electoral Integrity Project in 2012 & served as Director of Democratic Governance at the United Nations Development Program in NY, VP of APSA and the WVS, Executive member of IPSA and the PSA, as a consultant to the UN, OSCE, IDEA, UNESCO, the Council of Europe, NED, UN Women, and UNDP. Her work has been published in more than a dozen languages. She holds a BA in Politics & Philosophy from Warwick University, and Master's and Doctoral degrees in politics from the London School of Economics. She is affiliated with Harvard's Center for European Studies, the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, the Center for International Development, the Ash Center, & the Shorenstein Center. Full details: www.pippanorris.com . Twitter: #PippaN15
The rise of authoritarian populism, academic journal/scholarly articles, book chapters, edited volumes, hks faculty research working paper series, transparent engagement .
Harvard Kennedy School is proud of its energetic involvement in the world. To better understand how to solve public problems by improving policy and leadership, we engage directly with policymakers, public leaders, governments, nonprofit organizations, and for-profit businesses whose activities affect those problems. However, we recognize that such engagement can raise questions about perceived and potential conflicts of interest, so we disclose publicly the key professional activities of our faculty outside the Kennedy School. The activities disclosed below are for the most recent reporting period, as defined by University policy. Some may be paid, some may be unpaid, and others may be in exchange for expense reimbursement only.
Outside Professional Activities For Pippa Norris
Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation
Center for International Development
Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy
Women and Public Policy Program
- Show Spoilers
- Night Vision
- Sticky Header
- Highlight Links
Follow TV Tropes
Characters / Phase-Connect
Edit locked, 1st phase: origins.
- Meaningful Rename : They used to be called Phase Connect (generation) of Phase Connect (the company), but were renamed to Origins to signify their efforts to get the corpo off the ground and give it some name recognition in the small-corpo vtuber scene
- Suspicion Aesop : All the Origins members were suspicious about Phase Connect's reddit recruitment ad, their website with stock photos, and their interviews but it turned out their suspicions were wrong and Phase Connect was and is legit after all.
- Arch-Enemy : Declared MatPat to be this.
- Character Catchphrase : "I'm Lia!"
- Character Death : On June 25, 2022, she held a debut 2.0 stream that began with Rinkou Ashelia being killed in an explosion and being replaced with her new model, the Ridiculously Human Robot Girl Lia. This also coincided with her changing the name of her channel from "Ashelia Ch." to "Lia Ch."
- Embarrassing Nickname : Because of that Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader game she played, she had been referred to as "Fussy Baby." This is one way to really piss her off .
- Fujoshi : Has done Lessons with Lia stream on Tumblr Sexymen, Osomatsu-san and a BL tier list collab with Iori, Tenma, and Uruka.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls : An example of the stereotype. She both read and wrote lots of fanfics about Yaoi or shipping herself with one of the characters mentioned in the Perverse Sexual Lust trope below, often with herself as the bottom. Her collab with Pippa turned into an auction wherein for $1000 worth of superchats she was forced to read one of her most favourite fanfics in her youth: Blue Sky . It was so humiliating that, on the subsequent fanfic reading day, she had to appear drunk for it , and it turned into a tangent wherein she was lusting for Thresh . Thanks to another round of red superchats, she was ultimately forced to read one of her own yaoi fanfics after her T-shirt review stream, much to her chagrin.
- Obfuscating Stupidity : Deconstructed . One of the reasons Lia got a new model (character). She got tired of playing the Dumb Blond as her old model and the psychological effects doing that repeatedly entails and is much happier with a smarter and crazier-looking Platinum Blond model.
- Also Tsumugi Aoba from Ensemble Stars! , Il Dottore from Genshin Impact and Thresh from League of Legends .
- Robot Girl : Post-"reboot", Lia is a Ridiculously Human Robot .
- Too Kinky to Torture : Get her drunk and she becomes this, wanting to be used and abused by the likes of Il Dottore or Thresh.
- Yandere : Lia is cute, but she is rather attached to her audience and will be furiously jealous if you dared watch other vtubers besides her. Her ASMR streams also carried with them overtones of sadism.
- Beware the Nice Ones : For as gentle as she appears on stream, she's not in Phase Connect for nothing. According to Lia, Nasa once directly told Uruka that she wanted to flay the latter.
- Cute Monster Girl : She looks like a cute girl with horns, big claws, and a dragon tail.
- Horned Humanoid : She has small horns coming out of her forehead.
- Our Dragons Are Different : She's a dragon girl, one with a humanoid form , that is stated to be pretty young by dragon standards... that standard being two hundred million.
- Time Abyss : She's estimated to be two hundred million years old.
- Weredragon : Humanoid by default, but can shift into her dragon form. Her dragon form is two meters in height, in contrast to her hundred-forty centimeters human form
- Animal Lover : She slept with a chicken as a child and has a pet bird, rabbits, and a dog. She also hates people who torture animals.
- Badass Creed : She and her Capippalist fans adopted this phrase as their motto: "I am Cringe, but I am Free." It's badass in a way that most people would find them to be divisive and controversial, but they simply do not give a fuck.
- Conspiracy Theorist : Is paranoid and talks about things like how the FBI is hunting her down and how reptilians control the government.
- Country Mouse : She hated city-dwellers for being snobs, and has a preference for the rural and the rustic.
- Cute, but Cacophonic : She often ends up being very loud and shrieking like crazy when in an excited emotional state like getting pissed off or encountering something hilarious.
- Cute Oversized Sleeves : She's a cute pink-haired girl with a bunny theme . She looks even cuter because the sleeves of her jacket go past her hands.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome : It's not noticeable, but she has a lithp and hates it when anyone points it out.
- Fantastic Drug : "Pipkin," which is also at the same time a moldy contagion and a mental illness. Highly dangerous and can induce paranoia, delirium and schizophrenia to those in contact with it.
- Hidden Heart of Gold : She is well known for savagely roasting her peers, her seniors, her company, her president, her own fanbase and anything else she feels like, but behind the scenes she's a very kind soul who also genuinely wants to help them and express support for them.
- Messianic Archetype : Parodied. Her orisong portrays her as a saviour figure, and in fact the original lyrics called her "the Messiah." Thus it became a recurring joke especially with how she saved and inspired others not only with her existential musings but also by promising to die first before anyone else does (see Suicide Pact below). And whenever it is brought up, she keeps denying it à la Monty Python's Life of Brian .
- Nervous Wreck : During the 2 weeks when Pippa was waiting for a new computer part and couldn't stream. And is nervous in general and has a resting heart rate in the 100s to 130s.
- No Social Skills : Despite her chaotic and brash content, Pippa herself repeatedly admitted to being rather terrible when it came to interpersonal relationships.
- Odd Friendship : With Chikafuji Lisa of Tsunderia . In this case, Pippa serves as The Corrupter to Lisa's Straight Man .
- Old Shame : Playing or singing Pippa The Rippa in front of her is an easy way to get on her bad side.
- Perverse Sexual Lust : On part 2 of her anniversary she told a story wherein she had a dream where she was in a couple with Jetstream Sam. It became a recurring joke to ship her with Sam.
- Refuge in Audacity : She's Sakana's biggest headache with her constant yabs, talking about darker parts of the internet and showing them to the rest of Phase (or whomever she collabs with), and pushing the limits not only of management but what's acceptable in conventional Vtubing. Yet she gets away with it and became Phase Connect's most popular member for it. Compare Kiryu Coco from hololive , someone who also became famous for constantly pushing the boundaries.
- The Scrooge : Despite being one of the Phase members with the most superchats, sponsorships, CCV and merch sales, she did not forget her past of being a miserly person with a poor background and who hates spending money on unnecessary things. For example, when her PC broke down she even refused to just buy a new one because she wanted to calculate every expense.
- Self-Deprecation : Often denigrates and describes herself as "Walmart Pekora," and has an impostor syndrome so bad she hid her original song under a shitpost.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot : She has a pretty dirty potty mouth on her, and tends to drop F-Bombs every now and then.
- Suicide Pact : Made the Capippalists promise that they won't off themselves unless she dies first. This contributed to the meme of her as a Dark Messiah .
- Sweet Tooth : If her eating habbits are of anything to go by, she really loves sweets, snacks and sugary drinks.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak : She likes guns, alcohol, video games like MMOs and other guy things, but is also big into Build-A-Bear and other girly things.
- Took a Level in Cynic : Apparently one of the reasons she turned from an idealist into a jaded yab machine was that she used to always get good grades but an art teacher failed her over a misunderstanding over the aesthetics. Cue references to having " one bad day " and inevitable comparisons to another famous person who became insane from failing art school . She got better eventually.
- Troll : Enjoys messing with people, especially with how she and her fanbase were from that website . It's also mutual, as her fans also enjoy messing with her in turn.
- Vague Age : She lists her age as "3", and while that typically may imply that she's three years old, she also clarified that didn't mean three years, or even three months or days, her age is just three . Pipkin: [drags an FBI cap onto her head] And the law still applies.
- Blind Without 'Em : Tenma wears glasses (and her model has an option for them) and she's revealed that she can barely read chat if she's not wearing them.
- Deadpan Snarker : Just try to be a smartass or ask a stupid question in chat. English being her second language doesn't slow her down in the slightest when she's roasting you to a crisp.
- Fun Size : At 130 cm or 4'3", Tenma is the shortest of the Phase Connect members.
- Hair-Trigger Temper : Tenma has a list of Berserk Buttons a mile long and is prone to bursting into expletive-laden rants at the slightest provocation.
- Has a Type : She loves macho men .
- Learnt English from Watching Television : She learned English by watching Die Hard every single day for three months.
- Little Bit Beastly : She's a little girl with fox ears and a fluffy tail.
- Office Lady : Her primary gimmick.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot : Like Pippa, she's prone to dropping swears and F-bombs, though unlike Pippa, it's in a heavy Japanese accent.
- Stunned Silence : If she isn't shrieking at explicit sexual content in games, she's in a wide-eyed, silent state in other scenarios. NEEDY STREAMER OVERLOAD in particular had her react in this manner to several of the events of the game.
- Take That! : Said that the western idol industry is a joke.
- Verbal Tic : Has a habit of referring to authority figures in games as "Captain."
- Ninja Maid : She's an assassin secret agent and maid. She wears her assassin tights under her maid dress.
- Covert Pervert : She has deceived casual viewers into thinking she is innocent, but long-time fans know better.
- Cute Clumsy Girl : Hurts herself at least once a week out of clumsiness.
- Fangirl : Like her boss, she's a fan of Houshou Marine .
- Girl Next Door : Tenma describes her as feeling like your childhood friend.
- Lovable Coward : Early Phasmophobia streams had her running in and out of the house within seconds of each other to the point where other talents had to join the stream to bully her in. Also considers Portal to be a horror game, based on atmosphere alone.
- One-Man Band : She plays a variety of instruments, including violin, guitar, piano, and saxophone. More often than not, her karaoke streams also feature her playing an instrument in addition to singing.
- Verbal Tic : Has a partial lisp from wearing braces and makes "turtle sounds" when she clears her throat. The sounds are quiet but her fans hear them and make fun of her for them anyways.
- Robe and Wizard Hat : She's a young wizard wearing a purple robe and a large witch hat.
- Saved to Enslave : Played for Laughs . Sakana jokes about saving Lumi and Yuri but he also compels them to build things for him in the company Minecraft server as part of their company duties just like everyone else.
- Sixth Ranger : Invaders are also called Gen 1.5 or a half-gen and are closer to Gen 1 members.
- Welcome Episode : Lumi and Yuri had re-debuts when they joined to introduce them to the community. They also had many collabs during the month they joined with Gen 1 members as opposed to Gen 2 that had a collab ban.
- Bad People Abuse Animals : Pippa, the Yabbit, was horrified from how Lumi tore apart bugs in her childhood, but the latter justified it For Science! .
- The Chanteuse : She sings lounge songs when not singing Jpop or meme songs.
- Cool Big Sis : In one of her Genshin streams, she mentions that she brought her brother his own PC, monitor and internet.
- Doting Parent : Sister variation. Based on her interactions with her brother and how much she spoils him, that pretty much is the case.
- Fashionable Asymmetry : She wears pants with a long right leg and a short left one.
- Lack of Empathy : She's callous and has little empathy for life.
- Practically Different Generations : Star Bro is Lumi's baby brother. Take a gander on their age gap.
- Raised in a Lab : It had been implied that she was raised in a lab to be the perfect organism.
- Refuge in Audacity : If it isn't Pippa making yabs, it's her. Due to that, any stream between the two of them are highly likely to get deleted and archived. She sang Rusty Cage's White Girls Fuck Dogs on stream, for example.
- The Smart Guy : the Strategy and History Vtuber of Phase Connect, and a known overachieving academic.
- Spoiled Sweet : When your own sister buys you an entire gaming PC setup and pays for your internet, your pretty much reach this status as Star Bro.
- Underboobs : Her top has a gap that reveals the underside of her breasts.
- Valley Girl : She can make that accent to a scary degree.
- Seen It All : When it comes to horror games, few things scare her. She even joined in with the haunted house workers to scare Airi when they met in-person.
- Mystical White Hair : Ember has white hair and fire powers.
- Anime Hair : Her hair is styled into drill pigtails.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita : She wears a dark blue gothic lolita dress.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline : Her dress has an extremely low neckline that makes it look like the front has to be glued to her chest to not fall off.
- Pointy Ears : She has long pointy ears.
- Yaoi Fangirl : She became one at a young age after walking in on a man getting a colon endoscopy .
- Apologises a Lot : To the point that when chat calls Alice out on it, she apologises for apologising.
- Curtains Match the Window : She has light blue hair and eyes.
- Cosmic Motifs : Her outfit is decorated with stars.
- Love at First Sight : Alice admits as such during her introduction.
- Seeing Through Another's Eyes : Alice remarks having observed the Starknights through Jelly's eyes.
- Shrinking Violet : Her Alice persona is extremely hesitant and nervous when speaking.
2nd Phase: PhaseALIAS
- Himemiya Rie: Royal, Hime, Rie.
- Amanogawa Shiina: Seamstress, Shiina, Meemaw.
- Komachi Panko: Lollipop, Panko, many variations of Panko with the letters changed.
- Remilia Nephys: Pandemonium, Remi, Wemi.
- Erina Makina: Droid (used in early promos but Writing Around Trademarks ), Automaton, Erina, Tiger Mom.
- Chisaka Airi: Gambler, Airi, Pon Wolf.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep" : Averted . Most fans and the talents themselves call themselves by their given first names and almost never use the alias names.
- Berserk Button : Don't bring her height into question. At worst, she'll threaten to break your kneecap.
- Born of Heaven and Hell : She's a half-demon, half-angel type of Nephilim. In terms of the concept, she's akin to another Nephilim IRyS , though her appearance makes her angel and demon traits more blatant.
- Child-Like Voice : High register by default, to match with her childish chuuni front. She can speak/sing in a much lower register, as indicated by both her Onee-sama donation voice clip and her performance of Ref:rain in her Monetization Celebration stream.
- Chuunibyou : She embodies many aspects of this archetype: presenting herself as a powerful being that's outshined by her childish attributes, wearing an Eyepatch of Power as an optional accessory, and even having an Imaginary Friend in Horo Horo.
- Cute Little Fangs : She has small canine teeth inherited from her demon side.
- Drives Like Crazy : Playing Euro Truck Simulator already showed her questionable driving skills behind a large vehicle with a payload, but Remi's Valentine stream has her drive a car for the planned date... with the background indicating she's driving backwards the whole way, with her insisting that it's all an illusion to the viewers.
- Dual Age Modes : She can transform from her Vague Age modern appearance to her original, more child-like form akin to her life before confinement.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita : Skimpier than most examples, but her general frilly clothing style, particularly her cape with sleeves, invokes this trope all the same.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome : Naturally has a lisp as a result of her child-like voice, to the point she refers to herself as "Wemi."
- Establishing Character Moment : In her backstory section of her debut stream, she's presented as a quiet child-like girl that went mad following her mistreatment from both angels and demons, driving her to murder those that wronged her and cause pandemonium... then she presents how she's actually like in person : introducing herself in a very "bigger than life ego" sorta way by proclaiming herself as her viewers's way, truth, light, and god . And that's before initially appearing just short of the camera view and attempting to rectify by asking for a "sacrifice" — demonstrating early on Remi's complex about her height — and the way she treats said "sacrifice" by stepping on them in a childish manner.
- Expy : Aside from the obvious name, Remilia Nephys shares many traits with Remilia Scarlet of Touhou Project . They're both demonic Elegant Gothic Lolita girls (Remi almost qualifying for the Vampire Lolita Archetype ) with a long lifespan who exhibit childish characteristics backed by a Chuunibyou personality to reinforce a "mature" and powerful presence. She even shares similarity to Flandre in terms of backstory, spending much of her life confined to the basement along with being powerful enough to cause destruction in her wake. All this is likely intentional, given that she has proven herself a fan of the series, which is further reinforced by Remi featuring the song "Septette for the Dead Princess" in a few streams. Including... Starting her Euro Truck Simulator 2 stream with a Eurobeat remix of the song (including other Touhou Eurobeat remixes throughout), and softly singing/humming SOUND HOLIC 's Prière arrangement in one ASMR stream.
- Fashionable Asymmetry : Her right leg is covered by a thigh-high stocking while her left leg is bare.
- Freudian Excuse : She wants to exterminate both angel and demon races and become ruler of the world, but then again, they have constantly mistreated and ostracized her.
- Girlish Pigtails : Her hair is tied in twintails to match her girlish appearance.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings : A rare case where she has both sets of wings , one being the white and feathery kind from an angel, the other below that being demonic and bat-like. Morally, it's implied she Used to Be a Sweet Kid until the neglect and abandonment from both races drove her to murder those that wronged her... then we properly see her persona , putting into question her "evil".
- Horned Humanoid : She has small horns coming out of her head.
- Idiot Hair : Sprouting from the top of her head is a long curved ahoge, to signify her Chuuni childish-ness.
- Mercury's Wings : An unusual case where she has an angel wing on her feet, but only on one side, likely tying into her Duality Motif of being a Nephilim .
- Mystical White Hair : Being someone who's a part-angel born in heaven, she has naturally white hair to indicate her, for a lack of better term, "pure" side.
- Nephilim : Of the part-angel, part-demon variety, indicated by her sets of wings and other angelic/demonic features.
- Petite Pride : More like "A-Cup Apathy" most of the time, but on the rare occasions that she addresses comments about her chest size, she espouses the "flat is justice" mentality.
- Pointy Ears : Her ears are pointy.
- Showgirl Skirt : She wears a dress with a long skirt that's open at the front to reveal her legs.
- Then Let Me Be Evil : After being forcibly exiled from heaven and getting further outcast by her fellow demons until her father decided to lock her away, she ultimately decided, with encouragement from Horo Horo, to repay her kind in blood.
- Unusual Halo : With her updated model in the 2023 Valentine stream, she has a light halo to the side of her head that's moreso a magic rune themed after a Four-Leaf Clover .
- Vague Age : Lists her age as "Unknown," as she spent who knows how long trapped in the basement to remember, though her "normal" speaking voice would suggest she'd be Younger than She Looks .
- Boob-Based Gag : For Shiina's Passpartout stream, she chose to represent Airi in the game by specifically drawing a view of her torso, complete with calling it " Airi's Airi's ", much to the wolf girl's shock and confusion. Airi: WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN JUST THE BUST?
- Corrupt the Cutie : The other members brag about gaslighting her and showing her disgusting memes like that One Piece meme.
- Cute Clumsy Girl : Every single stream, Airi has a Pon moment, whether it's a hot mic, streaming herself testing audio equipment live without knowing, her forgetting something on stream, being late for her own streams, or anything that can be interpreted as being clumsy. Due to that, she is called the Pon Wolf.
- Extreme Doormat : Often talks about people taking advantage of her at her real life job.
- Troll : She managed to make Pippa scream in rage all by playing her song and using TTS while sick.
- A-Cup Angst : When the topic of her A-Cup chest comes up, she points out that she has "cutlets" unlike the completely flat Remilia and Rie.
- Cosmic Motifs : As she is the Celestial Seamstress, stars and constellations are featured prominently in her design. In particular, the buttons on her shirt, in tandem with the black straps that connect them in a zig zag pattern, form the appearance of a constellation.
- Does Not Like Spam : Shiina has an aversion to olives and mushrooms.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold : Shiina is blonde and a very sweet person.
- Likes Older Men : Shiina has a crush on Geralt of Rivia .
- Navel-Deep Neckline : Exaggerated. From the top of her collar, down past her exposed panties, her top exposes much of her front torso without showing the parts that would classify her naked. The only thing covering her skin is a translucent fabric and the straps that hold her top together while also serving as the "constellation" for her clothing.
- When she and Airi did a collaboration on maid cafes, both of them were wearing a meido outfit asset over their models, and it was immediately evident that Rie's was buffing her. Only later did it become evident that Airi was actually struggling to keep her chest behind the asset, as to get them to believably look the same size, they had to meet in the middle rather than boosting Rie all the way up.
- Anti-Gravity Clothing : She has a floating tiara over her head.
- Ojou : She is a princess with a prestigious upbringing, and is not afraid to boast about it.
- Omniglot : She can speak English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Mandarin, Chinese, Cantonese, and she likes to learn more.
- Artificial Limbs : Has a cybernetic left arm.
- Cat Girl : Well, a cyborg tiger girl.
- Fashionable Asymmetry : She wears a detached transparent long sleeve on her right arm and a long glove on her left arm.
- Sexy Slit Dress : She wears a dress with slits on both sides to show off her legs.
- Statuesque Stunner : She's very tall compared to her peers, with assets to boot.
- A-Cup Angst : Is very sensitive to being called "flat", as despite being fairly small-chested herself, she actually ranks within the top half of her generation (Remilia and Rie are completely flat and Shiina is also flatter than Panko.
- I Am Not Weasel : She's a red panda, not a raccoon/tanuki.
- Trademark Favorite Food : Apples. Her fanbase name translates to "apple friends".
3rd Phase: Euphoria
- BFS : She has a sword that is as tall as, if not taller than, her.
- Cute Monster Girl : She's a dragon girl with lava elements in the horns and wings, and a flame on the tip of her tail.
- Horned Humanoid : She has four horns growing out of her head, two behind the ears and two from the crown, with the right horn larger and curled.
- Hot Wings : Part of her wings are made of lava .
- Our Dragons Are Different : Describing herself as a Lava Dragon in her debut, her larger horn and wings are partly made of lava and her tail bears a large flame at its tip.
- Winged Humanoid : As a dragon, she sports these.
- Discovering the scroll entices her into learning about the evil runes against her peers' and superiors' concerns that this will happen to her. And then it did, and she thoroughly revels in it.
- She signifies that this is her intention with Hina, with the Celestial Pantheon having apparently made a commandment to advise specifically against this.
- Evil Makeover : This is shown during her debut slideshow from being a Nun to becoming a Demon Queen.
- Evil Overlord : What she is following her corruption, being Liege, Master, Lord and Mistress to Demons.
- Glowing Eyes : Her eyes reflect the glow of the forbidden scroll's sigil, and she introduces her titles with these.
- Keeper of Forbidden Knowledge : Indulgence in learning the runes corrupted her from being a Nun to a Demon Queen.
- Minion with an F in Evil : While Runie is supposed to be an Evil Overlord , she's actually one of the sweetest members of Phase Connect. Case in point, when she asked her chat if they would prefer receiving $1 per compliment to a stranger or $100 per insult to a stranger, she genuinely thought most would choose the former rather than the latter, prompting her chat to question her evil credentials .
- Nun Too Holy : She was a Nun who worked for the Celestial Pantheon to vanquish demons, until she discovered the scroll; this started Runie on the path of going against the commandments of the Celestial Pantheon.
- Older Than They Look : She is 95 years old, but looks closer to her early-20s; she explains that magic had extended her lifespan.
- Trademark Favourite Food : Tuna. She listed this as something she likes three times in her debut and can't get enough of it.
- Try to Fit That on a Business Card : Her various titles include: The Black Rose Apostate, Queen of Demonic Runes, Wielder of the Darkest Magics, Speaker of Forbidden Truths and Enemy of the Celestial Gods.
- Alchemy Is Magic : Her lore video indicates that her skills in the alchemist craft bore her a legacy for using it to quell and calm various apparent fantastic beings that couldn't be quelled by other means.
- Brilliant, but Lazy : Her lore builds her up as a renowned alchemist with many feats, but she'd rather just play video games with Saya.
- Little Bit Beastly : Has the horns, ears and tail of a cow.
- Sweet Tooth : According to her lore video, she likes sweet treats such as ice cream. Runie uses this to her advantage to lure Hina to Earth.
- Bare Midriffs Are Feminine : Putting aside her lab coat, her midsection is on full display.
- Censor Steam : More of a 'censor cloud' but has this in the moments following her transformation from a full hamster as depicted in Dissonance .
- Gyaru Girl : Her style and attire lean heavily towards a Kogal aesthetic.
- Imagine Spot : In Dissonance , Eimi imagines performing on a stage in a similar fashion to the one in Pippa the Ripper after coming across a Phase Connect poster.
- Little Bit Beastly : Has visible hamster ears on account of her being a hamster.
- Odd Name Out : She's the only one out of her generation not to adhere to Alliterative Name .
- Trash of the Titans : Her room as seen in her debut, by her own accord and admission, is a mess with various containers of food open and on the floor, which has attracted ants.
Japanese 1st Phase: KALEiDO
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking : A CEO Fishman in charge of a VTuber agency filled with menheras that is definitely not a black company whatsoever . He also sells and promotes his own coffee brand.
- Brutal Honesty : He is known to not hold punches and is able to roast his own talents either intentionally or unintentionally...with hilarious results .
- Butt-Monkey : Often the target of bullying from his own talents, with him trying his best to damage control so that Phase will still remain a respectable idol company, and won't be known as a "delinquent company." Especially whenever it involves Pippa.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni : More level-headed than...almost everyone in Phase: Origins and a few to Phase: Invaders.
- Fish People : His avatar is a humanoid fish in a suit.
- The One Guy : The only male in a entire company filled of somewhat... unstable girls.
- Weak Boss, Strong Underlings : Sort of. He is definitely more soft spoken which creates an image that he is more meek than the likes of Tenma and Pipkin Pippa who has the reputation of being....much more intimidating then typical VTubers.
- You, Get Me Coffee : Inverted. He sells VTuber themed coffee (custom roast) based on the girls' personalities. Instead of asking employees to get him coffee, he gives them coffee to review on stream. Several of the girls have tasted the coffee live to mixed results.
- The Ghost : She has a design, but she has never talked on stream.
- The Heart : The talents acknowledged her as the very person who kept Phase coherent and running.
- Peach Creek
- CharacterSheets/Web Animation
- Pink Bitch Club
- Action Adventure
- Crime & Punishment
- Professional Wrestling
- Speculative Fiction
- Sports Story
- Animation (Western)
- Music And Sound Effects
- Print Media
- Sequential Art
- Tabletop Games
- Applied Phlebotinum
- Characters As Device
- Narrative Devices
- British Telly
- The Contributors
- Creator Speak
- Derivative Works
- Laws And Formulas
- Show Business
- Split Personality
- Truth And Lies
- Truth In Television
- Fate And Prophecy
- Edit Reasons
- Isolated Pages
- Images List
- Recent Videos
- Crowner Activity
- Un-typed Pages
- Recent Page Type Changes
- Trope Entry
- Character Sheet
- Playing With
- Creating New Redirects
- Cross Wicking
- Tips for Editing
- Text Formatting Rules
- Handling Spoilers
- Trope Repair Shop
- Image Pickin'
- Share full article
'King Leopold’s Ghost' Recounts Tales of Unimaginable Terror
By Manohla Dargis
- Aug. 18, 2006
Opens today in Manhattan Directed by Pippa Scott Not rated; 108 minutes
Europe's genocidal adventures in Africa receive a passionate reckoning in the ambitious documentary "King Leopold's Ghost." Working from Adam Hochschild's best-selling history of the same title, the producer and first-time director Pippa Scott has enlisted a legion of talking heads to help tell a story of insatiable greed and unimaginable terror. Among those tapped for their expertise are academics, historians, Congolese elders and, for some reason, the memoirist Frank McCourt. Mr. Hochschild proves particularly effective, since he gets right to it: "What made it possible for Congo state officials to deal out all this pain and terror? Race."
The barbarism of King Leopold of Belgium, the subject of another recent documentary, "Congo: White King, Red Rubber, Black Death," remains shocking. In the mid-1880's, with the help of the explorer Henry Morton Stanley and the approval of the world's leading powers, Leopold seized a swath of Africa (then the Congo Free State, now Congo) more than 76 times the size of Belgium, turning it into a personal capitalist venture. Using a large private army whose numbers included Congolese orphans, the king and his agents squeezed the land of its resources, slaughtering elephants for ivory, tapping trees for rubber. The Congolese were uprooted, separated, enslaved, whipped and mutilated (hands were cut off, sometimes for accounting purposes), leaving as many as 10 million dead.
Ms. Scott's outrage is palpable, but she has bitten off enough here for a 10-hour television series. (A former actress who played the oldest daughter in "The Searchers," Ms. Scott produced a "Frontline" film on Radovan Karadzic.) King Leopold would be enough for one documentary, as would Patrice Lumumba and Mobutu Sese Seko, both of whom are too quickly crammed into the film's overloaded, visually chaotic two hours. The flurry of archival photographs, maps, paintings, quotations and far too many unidentified film clips, both archival and of recent vintage, fiction and nonfiction, overwhelm rather than elucidate. The voices of Don Cheadle, who provides some of the narration, and Alfre Woodard and James Cromwell, each reading historical documents in accented English, just prove distracting.